SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

I want a nautical tattoo :)

25K views 85 replies 50 participants last post by  csalatti 
#1 ·
I am thinking about getting a tattoo. It will be my first.

Thinking about a small monocolor (flag blue) "nautical" symbol on my inner right wrist; May be at the southwest of the pulse 2.5 inches away. Not too obvious, since I am in a conservative career. I like a small, cute, intelligent, non threatening tat, but it makes a statement.

Anyone have any cool idea or suggested symbols? :)

#12 ·
There's also Poseidon's trident. If you google search images, some of the designs might give you ideas.

Importantly, be sure to research your tat artists. The last thing you want is to get hep-c bc they aren't running a hygienic business. And even if they are clean, get tested about a year afterwards, anyway. Just to be on the safe side.

As for the minutia? Check out their work (they usually have photo albums), how long they've been in business, etcetera, as well as their setup. Imo, shoot for someone who does custom tats as opposed to flash. That way, you could even draw your own and bring it to them. It is also useful to find out how long it will take. Usually, the more detailed, the longer. Size matters, of course but detail plays an important role as well. Notably, the more detailed, the more painful.

Btw, inner wrist will be not only painful but can be tough for the tat artist due to the tendons that distort the skin. Not saying you shouldn't just more of an fyi.

Anyway, just a few things to think about.

#20 ·
#25 ·
Oh come on folks, y'all can come up with better nautical tats than those poor little anchors, they look like one of my grandkids drew most of them.

How about this one, a nautical kind of guy should always have a chart to follow...but you have to get it on your wife...

This way lay sea monsters...

#27 ·
"The modern person who tattoos himself is either a criminal or a degenerate. There are prisons in which eighty percent of the inmates have tattoos. People with tattoos not in prison are either latent criminals or degenerate aristocrats."

Adolf Loos; Ornament and Crime (1929)

So RockDawg are you a degenerate aristocrat?

#31 ·
Well, I don't know what I am anymore. It is not becasue I am senile or depressed; it became irrelevant in this stage of my life. I have achieved what I said to do more than 35 years ago to my parents and later to my wife and children. We would raise our children the best way we know how and we would shape them to become a good citizen of the world. I was and still is a good provider to my family and a good mentor for my employees. I have given my very best work to clinical research to improve the quality of lives of others. Although I must say without my contributions, I am sure others would fill my place. But at the end, it was still my effort, it was still my signature in the reports I wrote found in the US FDA archives.

I changed my priority from "Family, Career and Pleasure" to "Pleasure, Family and career ($)". Children are grown. They are too busy to fight for a place in the society that will propel their career to surpass their old man's achievement. Some day , I hope i will hear them say: "Daddy, you suck. I have done better". :D. It will music to my ears that my children are better than me.

Growing up in Hong Kong, I spent endless hours watching the ships go by in Victoria Harbour. I was dreaming about the ocean. Father told me that there is a secret tunnel connecting China to America becasue there was a little boy lost his shoe, it was found floating in NY harbour later. And America was so fascinating and beautiful. Now, sailing to HK is within my reach.

I have never had an urge to have a tattoo, I didn't like anything on my body. I don't even wear my wedding band the day after our honey moon. As i grow older, my childhood love of the sea grows stronger. I used to swim non stop 6 to 8 hours without any floating device. I know the HK water so well just by looking the bottom of the sea floor. I belong to the water and the sea. I want to get back to the sea where I belong. I want a tattoo to remind me that becasue I can.

I know exactly who I am. :)

Thanks for reading.

#32 ·
Get a tat of a chicken, cow even a musk rat but not anytthing nautical or marine related as it is usually a lot more expensive to get anything boat related. That starts with grease and does not end at tattoos ;)

#35 ·
Wait til you get to French Polynesia..In the MArquesas there are a few really talented artists. get something original that tells of your journey. The island of Ua Pou would be a good place...

Reactions: shadowraiths
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.