SailNet Community - View Single Post - Going up the mast on a trailerable sailboat?
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road
Re: Going up the mast on a trailerable sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnnyD View Post
Hello all, I have been an avid reader of the forum, but this is my first post, so forgive me if I botched this thread!

So I purchased a 1978 Laguna Windrose 22' sailboat about a year ago, and it has been kept in a slip on KY Lake. During my last sail, I noticed that the white light on the front of the mast (running light) was out, and I suspect that the bulb burned out based on the fact that the light on the top of the mast (anchor light) is working fine and it appears that they share the same wiring at the mast step. What I am trying to figure out is if it is safe to go up the mast in a bosun's chair on a mast that is bolted on at the deck to check/fix/replace the bulb and/or fixture or if I should just take down the mast and do it that way.

My concern is that when you take down the mast, you have to unhook the wiring and I might not be able to test it until I put the mast back up (so if my fix doesn't work, I will have to do it all over again).

Of note, I am in good shape (mid 30's) and or slip is pretty calm and protected but it would be my first time going up a mast.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Lee
Why not just use a ladder? Your mast is 25' tall. The steaming light should be located 1/2 way up...12-13' off the deck. Get an extension ladder and get r dun! I replace my steaming light this way. Lash the top of the ladder to the mast for stability.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook