SailNet Community - View Single Post - What do I do if someone anchors too close?
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013

Jd1 is on a distinguished road
Re: What do I do if someone anchors too close?

You indicate bent stanchions - that usually adds up very very quickly. As far as I know you can't just un-bend stainless pipe like that unless it was very very minor. There is nothing more annoying then seeing old damage that you could have done something about but were too lazy. It's like living the event over every time you see the damage.
I had some minor gel coat fixes done during a recent haulout - about half a dozend minor dings. Cost me $800 and the work was very poorly done.
Combine those two plus the attitude of the guy (especially the attitude) and go after him. If he decides not to show for small claims court you will win a default judgement for your costs (you will need to show invoices from the yard that did the repairs - no self fix). Unfortunately, if your court system is similar to the Canadian system, a judgement in your favour is far from money in the pocket. The one case I was involved with to the tune of about $1200 or so (that was like 15 years ago or so) was a money looser for me but it was never an issue about the money but rather the attitude/principle. It felt good to let the other person know that behaviour has consequences. Just imagine the world if everybody would just roll over and say 'too much effort' ....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook