SailNet Community - View Single Post - What do I do if someone anchors too close?
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: What do I do if someone anchors too close?

Another vote for pictures, police report, YARD ESTIMATE for total repair of the damage, and if you have insurance, let the insurer pursue the action against him. Make it clear that you were legally anchored and asleep and woke up to find his vessel had struck yours and damaged it.

Doublecheck any anchorage regulations for where you were, i.e. in the Northeast US there are formal anchorages where you may be required to keep an anchor watch, and you'd have a harder time explaining things if you were in violation of something like that.

But without the pictures and the police report, it becomes "he says she says" and you'll just be screwed. I think when you price out some deck damage and stanchions, you'll see why you want to pursue this.

There is no reason, NO REASON, whether you had a 1:1 scope or a 1:10 scope, to excuse a boat from being abandoned (anchored uncrewed) in a manner that allowed it to hit another boat. As the newest arrival, it is 100% their responsibility to make Real Damn Sure they don't hit anything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook