SailNet Community - View Single Post - First Time Out: Checklist
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Re: First Time Out: Checklist

While Jethotog's list may seem umm thorough for a day sail on a lake, it is still worth reading and considering alot of it.

You say you are a new sailor and this is your first time as a skipper. I would suggest start building good habits NOW.

Ultimately from this point onwards based on your experiences you will yourself begin to develop your own 'list' either literally a list, or just a mental checklist that you run through and modify on the go as suited to circumstances.

Complacency and assumption is always what gets you in trouble in a boat. Plenty of people have come to strife on flat water in a small boat on a fun sunny day.

I do agree keep it simple and don't worry, Do go out and have fun, i'm not trying to scare you, but for me, it is actually the time spent doing my checks everytime and then knowing that everything is right that allows me as the skipper to relax and enjoy the day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook