SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

What do I do if someone anchors too close?

12K views 86 replies 40 participants last post by  Neosec 
#1 ·
I woke up to find a new boat anchored next to me and they anchored right next to me. They hit and scratched (small) the side of my boat and hit the stanchions and bent them and broke the sealant at the base. I've put my dinghy in between us and have been fending for the last two hours. It came inches away from tearing my outboard off.

What do I do when they come back?

#68 ·
Dropped a mooring? In what location, in what state? Not that it matters now, but usually dropping a mooring without the express permission of the bottom owner or the local government is a good way to get a discount ticket to the Policeman's Ball.

No, really, when you see an idiot? You're allowed to drop a dime on them, and let some civil servant explain the rest to them. Contrary to popular opinion, "You CAN fix stupid!"

#70 ·
Wether is anchoring to close or an annoying generator, we encounter this problem regularly. I've just accepted the world is full of morons that either don't care about anyone else or don't know any better. I don't go to busy harbors any more and just move when an idiot shows up. Not worth the agrivation.
Jim

#72 · (Edited)
Lol. Funny you should say that! I went there two days ago! But friday harbor is more fun. It just got really crowded on the 4th. Whoa whoa whoa. Lopez over San Juan, its not even close. San Juan by a long shot. Fishermans is good but these summer southerlies funnel straight in there. It was blowing 15-20 yesterday afternoon stronger in the bay than once I got out. I put a reef I nbefore I left but it wasn't needed.

Did I tell you about the day before someone came and laid their 200 feet of chain on top of my anchor and then swung around me pulling up my anchor? I came back and the guy was on his boat and waved me over. He was actually really nice by the way. He said he snagged my anchor and every time he tried to retrieve his he pulled our boats together. So he was waiting for me to come back and I fended the boats apart as he pulled up his anchor. I had to untie my bitter end and walk on his bow and untwist my rode. Then he reanchored elsewhere.

Don't come near me.

#80 ·
This has been a very informative thread to read regarding anchor etiquette. I would guess that there are many like me here who only day sail and race, but do, on occasion, cruise. Since I virtually never need to anchor because I generally stick to harbors, I have never even read about the subject. What are the general rules of thumb when it comes to anchoring in, say, a protected anchorage? How much chain/rode is necessary for a 30' boat, and so on. If there is a thread already outlining this, please link it. I never knew any of these rules, so that would put me in the dumb category. I have anchored, but there was only one boat nearby.

#81 ·
#84 ·
I don't cruise so I don't have a horse in this race but I do have lots of music in my iPod that would work to repel a family that anchored too close.

#85 ·
Maybe I've been lucky. The one time someone was dropping the hook too close and thought they were fine I proceeded to obviously video them in the process of anchoring. Next I asked them to please face the camera so that when my insurance carrier goes after them for the damage their boat will cause by anchoring too close, there won't be any doubt as to which vessel was anchored first or who the Capt was. They went below for a few minutes, came out and motioned that I was "number one":eek: before picking up their anchor and leaving the bay. Persons on another boat that also verbalized their displeasure during the anchoring fiasco applauded a little too zealously as the offending vessel departed.

#86 ·
I have to say that I love the stern tie anchoring that I'm finding in BC. It solves a lot of these problems because boats stay in place. I wish it were the norm in WA, but it's not really compatible with our private waterfront.

I personally prefer the culture on Lopez to San Juan Island. Everything is a little slower and more laid back, the scenery is better (Shark Reef Park and Spencer Spit being my two examples) and there are a lot fewer tourists in the village, because the village isn't right next to the ferry terminal. The new grocery store on Lopez is quite good too.

#87 ·
Funny thing that some humans have a need to be so close. Not anchoring but another story of a deserted beach at one of the Greek isles. After putting down the beach towels to soak up the sun another couple showed up. Despite having a mile of empty beach they came right up and sat next to us. ???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.