SailNet Community - View Single Post - First Time Out: Checklist
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013
Picnic Sailor

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Re: First Time Out: Checklist

If I go overboard, in flat water with non sailor guests this is my procedure.

1)Hit this button and drop the anchor..... all of it.
2)someone else throw me the lifebuoy and keep an eye on me.
3) If i don't swim back to boat in 2 minutes call 'marine rescue broken bay' on the radio which is already on and follow the procedure written next to radio to issue a 'Mayday'.
4)If I am swimming back to the boat get me a towel and a beer.
5) Most importantly- NO ONE is to jump into the water to try and come get me. ( you would be surpirsed how many non sailors consider this in an emergency).

Please note:

- I am a good swimmer.
-These are my procedures, for when i fall in the water, on my boat. Something I have no intention of doing. So far no international yachting body has approached me to publish or develop this method further, it is approved by no one, and quite probably disapproved by a few.
- However if anyone believes they can teach their non sailing friends to execute either a quickstop or figure 8 MOB without the skipper onboard then they are a better teacher than I.
-Offshore things change completely. I generally try not to be the only competent sailor on a boat offshore period, I always clip in and really really go out of my way to try not to go overboard offshore. Offshore I will also be wearing my auto-inflate jacket, with PLB.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by chall03; 07-05-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook