SailNet Community - View Single Post - First boat, living aboard and learning to sail
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2007

mkrautha is on a distinguished road
Here is my metareasoning behind this plan:
As far as meeting needs in life there are two lines of thinking: 1) How do I get more and 2) How can I do with less.
We are taking route 2, with the idea that drastically reducing our global footprint is a responsible, and satisfying way of approaching life.

As far as choosing a boat and upgrading for cruising: what we want to do is buy the boat now, and upgrade over the years as we have the money and the time. If the boat isn't an ocean cruiser for 10 years so be it, as new sailors the reality we may not be ready until then. The point for us is the possibility-- to know that should we feel the imperative we can turn our attentions toward preping her and ourselves for long voyages. In the interim, we should just be able to use her to practice our skills in order to really become good sailors and to live albeit cosily on. (did I mention that our last home was a 20' diameter tipi?)
As a counter example, has anyone read about the guy who was recently dismasted around cape horn? That guy is the anti-me. He decided to circumnavigate in order to learn to sail!?! He had 3 gps devices. He had a huge inboard motor. He had a 40 someodd foot boat. In retrospect all of this proved too much. I think I read he had a years worth of coastal cruising experience...
Me, well like I said before-- some sort of head would be nice. As for things like showering the truth is, I usually go to school gym after my classes are out and wind up showering there. I rarely use my shower at home as it is...
Another example, I recently e-mailed Yves Gélinas of circumnavigating-in-an-Alberg-30-using-his-own-CapeHorn-self-steering fame, as to the issues that arise from sailing with an outboard particularly in rough weather (he removed his inboard prior to his trip.) His response: either sail, find a harbor or heave-to. (You can read about his boat here: http://www.capehorn.com/sections/rem...oriserAng.htm). Simple enough.

We want to immerse ourselves in boats and sailing, but we want to do it in a way that our time, resources and abilities permit. For us that means 1st, getting aboard. We can't afford/ don't desire to afford living aboard and having a house. Why should we? We don't need both... if the boat doesn't work out, we'll move back to land, so far as I know it's not going anywhere (barring melting ice caps).
Certainly a boat is a lot of work and expense. But then again so is owning a 120 year old house in the country such as we currently do. There is the expense of heating (2000 a season) the expense of lawn care, taxes, maintanance, mortgage, insurance etc. I am certain that with planning we will be able to create a liveaboard situation that is less expensive.

Why is it so crazy that we should try and live in a small space together as a family? Because people in our culture generally don't do it. We are expected to try and grow our resources, our possessions etc as our family grows. Call it the SUVacation of America. Like many people our age, we have a small amount of credit card debt, a moderate amount of student loan debt, and of course a mortgage.Most days we wake up and ask, what for? Today people are more overweight than ever, feel more isolated than ever, are in greater debt than ever...
I guess you could say this plan is an experiment to see if we can take a different approach to the way we plan our lives. I am certain we have a lot of hard work ahead, as well as a lot of lessons to learn. Great! What's the point of living otherwise.
And, if we find we need more down the road, then we'll get more. Until then, we won't worry about it.

Phew,
Hope I don't sound too preachy.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook