SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hunter 33 vs CS 30
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Hunter 33 vs CS 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Yes everything I have read and our friend who completed the ARC in a 62 Sundeer, have said that the most chaalllanging part was the Angoulas Current and South Africa in general. Not something I would challenge in aCS30. Even in a stout boat like Ania ( my favorite Bristol) I I am sure it was quite a piece of seamanship.
Thanks, on behalf of Ainia and the Admiral. We found that getting to South Africa was much tougher than dealing with the Agulhas once you are in SA. At least once you are there you are in control of timing. You wait for a weather window and dash to the next port, which can be over 200 miles away. It is sort of fun to head out and see how far out you have to go to pick up the current and then see if you can keep the SOG over 10 knots (or 11). The problem is getting to SA from the east. When we there a group of boats were anchored in southern Mozambique waiting for a window to cross to SA. The problem was that the weather forecasts changed so often that you just had to go and decide after a few days whether the conditions are suitable for crossing the Current or whether you have to heave-to and wait for the Buster to pass since conditions in the Current can be really dangerous. You need a boat that is (reasonably) comfortable and more importantly safe in 25 to 35 knots all the time, with the possibly of much more. If you don't have that sort of confidence you should not be there.