Old 07-06-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: 6 Americans, 1 Brit vanish at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg
Sorry, I'm not buying that one...

70' yachts getting run down by merchant ships are an extremely rare event... Here we have a boat that has already had its storm canvas destroyed, running off under bare poles before a storm, and you think it is still more plausible that they were sunk after colliding with a ship, rather than foundering due to storm-force conditions they had been battling?

anything's possible, of course, but I just don't see how the odds favor your scenario...

Except for a huge wave which could have rolled or pitchpoled them, any other scenario would have allowed time to activate the EPIRB. Capsizing would have to have been a complete surprise to them in that case because if the general sea conditions were that bad as to make them worry about capsizing, they certainly would have had PFDs on and EPIRB and survival gear at the ready. Something happened that did not allow for the few seconds it takes to grab and switch the EPIRB on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
I suppose the woodies here refuse to accept the MOST likely scenario of the boat failing and splitting up in seconds. Otherwise pfds or epirbs would have been activated.
These arguments are largely based upon the assumption that EPIRBs never fail to activate, or the system is somehow immune to failure...

I believe that's a mistaken assumption...

EPIRBs Ain?t Necessarily EPIRB-ing » Maritime Accident Casebook

Last edited by JonEisberg; 07-06-2013 at 11:29 AM.