SailNet Community - View Single Post - Recourse for Powerboats
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2013

dorymate1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Recourse for Powerboats

I v'e been running sail & power boats up and down the ICW for over 20yrs. Couple of comments. When in a sail boat I usually just wave a power boat by or let them now on the radio. After all I'm in a sail boat most likely more sea worthy than the power boat. I've decided to leave a protected dock or anchorage to make way. There fore being prepared for waves and motion. Why should We as sailors expect because of our choosing to go slow expect or demand others do too. Once I took a pure sailor on a power boat trip up the waterway after slowing do a few times for sail boats. He proclaimed NOW I CAN BE THE PEOPLE I HATE. Then waked all the sailor after that. I do slow down for sailboats, kayaks,john boats & trawlers on the ICW But also if I slow to pass you you should also slow so I can pass quickly with no wake if you just keep on then were is the mutual respect. Your just asking for action from the power boat with no action on your part. So 2 things to remember.
1. If a power boat slows to pass you should also slow to make a quick smooth pass. And or show mutual respect.
2. If you leave safe harbor be prepared for waves & wakes . After all you on the water . You can't blame other people for you not being prepared for what you know is going to happen. GET WAKED

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
May you weather all storms
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook