SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2013

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: Nm 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
A beauty isn't

For what I can tell in what regards Ocean racing there is little difference in the ORCI and IRC rating. It is a shame that the intention to make a only handicap rule (that was announced) seems to be going a hard way.

Here an interesting comparison between IRC and ORC, even if the ORC was updated since then:

Sail-World.com : Rolex Sydney Hobart - ORCi in its second year

sail-world.com -- Rolex Sydney Hobart 2011 ORCi versus IRC as handicap rule
Some pretty ugly boathandling, that's for sure. In the second video you'd think those guys were sailing a J/24 bumper boat. Didn't care for the wood in the interior shots of the first video, except for the cabin sole. And the hull color is pretty lame, as well. Much prefer the copper look of the hull on the NM web site.

Not sure I agree with you about ORCi type-forming, if I understand your concerns correctly. Class A was dominated by the TP52s, which are very competitive boats under IRC after the class loosened the box rule to make the boats more versatile. And I don't know anyone who doesn't love TP52s, myself included.

However, if you think ORCi hurts boats that are more performance cruiser oriented, then obviously I agree it would be a bad thing if that is, in fact the case. We know that IRC has generated some outstanding performance cruisers - we have mentioned Mark Mills in the past, and, of course, Jason Ker, both of whose boats differ in many design respects, with Ker's being a bit more extreme than Mills'. And our friends at Farr have done fine under IRC with the new First designs, as have our friends at J/Boats. However, didn't see many Farr or J/Boat models at the ORCi Championships, except for the Farr 40 ODs (which are pure race boats).

But let me go and re-read the rules comparison, so I make sure I don't misunderstand you.

Hope you're back in full cruise mode very soon.

MrP