SailNet Community - View Single Post - "You make your money buying the boat, not selling it."
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: "You make your money buying the boat, not selling it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2gmtrans View Post
Insurance companies, estate sales, divorce sales, and owners who have lost their income are constant occurrences, if you are willing to travel, and to have a boat shipped or take delivery in another state you have many options. Not everyone can purchase from an insurance company, but if you are able you can get stolen and recovered vessels every single day from auctions like Insurance Auto Auctions and other sources. That is how I have bought several boats and hundreds of pieces of heavy equipment and semi trucks. You may have to do repairs, but what boat have you ever purchased used that you did not have to do some repairs.

Not every boat is logged on soldboats.com I know I never logged sales there.
Mark I wouldn't downplay the real cost of buying this way. Auctions are often selling as is boats that you may not be able to inspect - so the hidden costs can be significant.

And buying something far from home has a lot of hidden costs in either shipping the boat or traveling back and forth to work on it.

We bought five hours from home and the costs included:
  • Two hotel stays
  • Five trips to the boat (hauling tools, parts, etc.)
  • Food and fuel for all those trips
  • A one way rental (for the trip to bring her home)
  • Meals for the guy who helped me bring her home

It's really easy to underestimate your all in cost on a long distance transaction.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook