SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is there a professional sailmaker on this forum?
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Re: Is there a professional sailmaker on this forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irunbird View Post
Sorry if I misunderstand your question, Capta- but why not just a plain old heavy dacron sail from someone like Rolly Tasker? I'm sure they make sails for rolling furlers. I frequently use Quantum, and they can be competitive if you give them quotes from other sailmakers, and I know for sure Quantum can make a main for your boat. I could not imagine using a tape drive main for a cruising ketch.. just makes no sense.
I'm not a sail maker but spend a lot of time sailing on a variety of boats with inmast furling mains. One issue that I've witnessed was an owner whose request was similar to your comment, "give me really heavy dacron sail that won't fall apart in a blow". The sail was made and upon trying to install the sail a problem appeared immediately.... the new sail material was much thicker and there wasn't quite enough room left in the mast to roll it all the way in!!! The sail had also been ordered with vertical battens. Once the battens were pulled out, it would just roll in, barely. Many errors were made in the process, I hope nobody else makes the same ones in the future...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook