SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is there a professional sailmaker on this forum?
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: Is there a professional sailmaker on this forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
We have a Hood main furler and a Hood sail that has worked out tremendously for us. The sail was far from new when we bought the boat but looked like it still had some life in it. We thought we would get a new sail in a year or so. That was 30,000 miles ago and the sail is still ok with only two repairs for chafe issues. I know that Hood has a good reputation for polyester sail cloth and I am a believer.
Thanks for the replies.
We also have the Hood in mast furling system.
I definitely do not want a heavier than necessary sail and I have indeed kept in mind that there is a finite space to roll it up into.
killarney_sailor; What cut is the sail? That is what I think will make or break the next main sail we buy.
I really wish I was somewhere where we had a choice of sail makers, but here in the West Indies, I think I'm going to have to detail my exact specifications, rather than rely on their talents.
This is my second experience with HR and I must say I'm less than impressed. My last experience, in Charleston, after delivering a new suit of sails to an 84' schooner, they sped off, never once seeing their sails in use.
I wish Peter Sutter was still building sails (in SF Bay area), he was a master sail maker and a true gentleman; I doubt he ever built a sail he didn't sail with the first time it was used.