SailNet Community - View Single Post - Recourse for Powerboats
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: Recourse for Powerboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyewackette View Post
Being as I have sailboat, and most here do as well, these new 'no wake zones' effect me how? And correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the NEW 'no wake zones' imposed to slow idiots that go to fast in such a narrow, resident congested, waterway anyway? It appears your 'gold plated' mentality is what is not wanted on the ICW.

And just because you are tired of going at the speed that most of the ICW is designed for, with no wake zones and slow traffic, I would suggest you should be the one taking your 'gold plated' buckets outside. Your getting paid, it would do you well to run outside and go as fast as you want. And make your 'gold plated' owner happy by delivering his cargo faster than scheduled. Heck, you might even get a tip. I doubt it, because the owner probably thinks all delivery captains are the same and he is tired of dealing with their arrogance, which seems to run in that circle of 'gold plated' influence. (What's that saying, s*** rolls down hill?)

I've seen people like you sink a little john boat with a couple of old fisherman minding their own business, because it was too much trouble to slow down.

By the way, I usually use red colored water balloons for just such an occasion if you find one busted on your deck some day.
Rant and rave all you want, my delivery days are long passed (30 years ago, when the ICW was a viable commercial waterway). Perhaps you're the type to try to sail the ICW when a tug and barge is in your way, yelling "I'm under sail, I have the right of way!".
Plenty of folks have gotten themselves into trouble in the ICW because they do not understand the concept of a commercial waterway. There are plenty of offshoots on the ICW for those in their john boats, water skiers and partiers. I can tell you from personal experience, when navigating a tug and barge in the ICW, other traffic had better stay out of the way as there is no way in hell to stop or turn those things once you've set up for the reach to the next turn.
And the truth of the no wake zones and many of the Manatee zones, has nothing to do with boater or Manatee safety; it's the wealthy waterfront property owners not wanting to constantly repair their seawalls because of the erosion from wakes.