SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Rough plan to get better at sailing.
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013

Unkle Toad is on a distinguished road
My Rough plan to get better at sailing.

So I have read many many times about the best way to learn buy upgrade etc. get a little boat sail it, learn it sell it get one a little be bigger, lather rinse repeat until you are in the right one for you. I prefer to not try and buy and sell several times over the next couple years so here is my plan I'm hoping you all here will tell me “Brilliant wish I had thought of that! You are a great person I want to be you when I grow up!” thats not the reaction I expect but life never gives you what you expect.

There is a local sailing club Island sailing, which for $184 a month(plus one time sign up fee of $400) gives you access to a fleet of boats. The club is in Portland Or. Olympia WA. And Kirkland WA. (I am in Olympia) membership allows unlimited day use of the boats that you are qualified for at any of the locations. One overnight free. Additional nights at a cost. This 184 a month is less then a slip and insurance would be let alone actually owning the boat. The only downside I see is that they require a 1 year commitment. So for roughly $2400 I have pretty much unlimited day sailing and asa101.

Add to that there is a Starr fleet down here in the Budd inlet that I am hoping to get hooked up with. Get a little experience on some 14 footers. Little boats, make some mistakes get wet, learn not to do that anymore.

I am also currently sailing on a j33(well ok I have a couple times) and maybe a hunter 40 on occasion. For the local south sound Wednesday night races.

All of this while I am still living on land and shopping for a 30-35(37 I love the tayana but probably out of my price limit) for live aboard and eventual cruising and possible circumnavigation.

So thats my plan and suggestions.

Constructive comments will be more highly regarded then just straight out negative.(which I actually haven't seen much of here.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook