SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2013 Sailing Season
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Re: 2013 Sailing Season

What a great weekend! Yea it was freaking hot as hell but the nights were comfortable and there was good wind.

After the fast sail up the bay Friday to Worton we decided to just stay put and enjoy the fresh water swims and bird watching. Saturday we took the dingy in to Worton Creek Marina to get some ice cream and check out the progress on the Burger Yacht the owner has been working on for years. Love that marina and ships store BTW, one of my favorites on the bay, has such charm and character. The Bald Eagles are such amazing birds to watch, we saw them frequently. We were able to get quite close to one, she was probably a full grown female (adult females are known to be larger than males, who knew). Also saw either a Golden Eagle or a immature Bald Eagle, not sure. Its great to see them back in such numbers on the bay, for a while now I learned. The water in Worton Creek is so nice to swim in, although not so refreshing at about 84 degrees but better than the 100 plus in the sun

The fireworks Saturday night were fantastic from Worton Creek, there was a great show in what I think was Middle River, I could not believe how high they were going. The other was much closer, I think, Mears Marina in Fairlee Creek? ah...doesnt matter, but they all were really cool, accented by the heat lighting to the West. The outside anchorage of Worton has now become a tradition for us on the 4th, it really is a prime vantage point for fireworks shows around the bay!

Sundays sail home started with us sailing off anchor, a first in a long time! It was the perfect conditions to try it out again, not many boats around and wind was a steady 10 kts. All went just as I planned and was a good feeling of accomplishment. I am also so pleased with my new battery set up, the amp hours I have now!!!! No need to run the engine as often like we used to. We ran the engine for about 10 minutes when we left Friday and didn't start it again until we approached Rock Creek entrance three days later, gotta love that (quick thanks to Mainsail and Chef2sail for their assistance and knowledge regarding my new DC set up) Next...solar and/or wind and we'll be ready to cruise long term.

All in all, amid some extreme heat, it was the perfect long weekend! Looking forward to many more this year.

PS...should I be worried, I think my kids are part fish?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook