SailNet Community - View Single Post - Recourse for Powerboats
View Single Post
post #52 of Old 07-07-2013
Re: Recourse for Powerboats

This past weekend we had a large (50'+) PB blast past us (and several others at anchor) and they created quite a large wake. While I understand there is no speed limit where we were anchored I found it pretty rude and created a dangerous circumstance for us and others. He demonstrated the arrogance and/or ignorance that power boaters can have.

My youngest daughter was just getting into the water from on the stern ladder, my other daughter was lying on a raft when we heard then saw the wake approach. My estimate was about 2' wake, breaking slighltly...scared the you know what out of them and me. I yelled to her to swim away from the boat but the fear overcame her and she went for the ladder, had I not reached down and crabbed her just in time I think she could have been injured by the rudder or hitting her head on the bottom of the stern. The motion was violent. I have never seen her so scared, shaking, but to her credit she was back in the water after a few minutes.

As mentioned, I understand there is no restrictions in the area where we were anchored so one must be more cautious but I would really have liked to catch him and tell him what his boat caused, although I doubt he would give a sheet. Its not like slowing down the last 1/4 mile through a pretty popular anchorage would have caused him any great delay. I would have loved to meet the person!

It was an unfortunate way to be reminded that you must always be on guard. And no, I didn't get the name or boat number. Too busy attending to my kids nerves.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome