SailNet Community - View Single Post - Recourse for Powerboats
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Re: Recourse for Powerboats

This past weekend we had a large (50'+) PB blast past us (and several others at anchor) and they created quite a large wake. While I understand there is no speed limit where we were anchored I found it pretty rude and created a dangerous circumstance for us and others. He demonstrated the arrogance and/or ignorance that power boaters can have.

My youngest daughter was just getting into the water from on the stern ladder, my other daughter was lying on a raft when we heard then saw the wake approach. My estimate was about 2' wake, breaking slighltly...scared the you know what out of them and me. I yelled to her to swim away from the boat but the fear overcame her and she went for the ladder, had I not reached down and crabbed her just in time I think she could have been injured by the rudder or hitting her head on the bottom of the stern. The motion was violent. I have never seen her so scared, shaking, but to her credit she was back in the water after a few minutes.

As mentioned, I understand there is no restrictions in the area where we were anchored so one must be more cautious but I would really have liked to catch him and tell him what his boat caused, although I doubt he would give a sheet. Its not like slowing down the last 1/4 mile through a pretty popular anchorage would have caused him any great delay. I would have loved to meet the person!

It was an unfortunate way to be reminded that you must always be on guard. And no, I didn't get the name or boat number. Too busy attending to my kids nerves.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook