SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Rough plan to get better at sailing.
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Re: My Rough plan to get better at sailing.

Great Plan,
Exactly how I learned to sail. I had learned on a hobie cat then taught for two summers at a summer camp. Joined a club that had unlimited weekday usage and sailed the hell out of the 22 foot boats. I also did some racing then and a lot of racing since. I would suggest trying to become a regular on the J-boat. Show up every time it races and you will get a full time spot and maybe even get promoted to different spots on the boat. I race on a J35 for years and learned a lot from it.

I'd also suggest building a library and reading a lot to expand your knowledge in racing and cruising. I have since owned a small boat but am back in the sailing club mode and racing OPB's. While it is not as satisfying as owning a boat, I get to sail as much as I want (no I don't), but i get to sail a lot. Also I usually split the cost of boat rental with people so the cost for me to sail is minimal, as opposed to owning. If you stuck with the club for a few more years instead of buying your own boat you might be able to afford the Tayana, a boat I would love to own but also out of my price range for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook