SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Rough plan to get better at sailing.
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: My Rough plan to get better at sailing.

Great way to learn, and even at $184 a month for a year, it will be far far less than even the ongoing costs (maintenance, slip, etc.) of owning a boat. You'll be able to sail without the hassles of maintenance, and try out many different boats to accommodate your growth as a sailor. My son lives in Seattle and I recommended these guys to him awhile back, but he just does not have enough time for it right now.

Coincidentally, we're visiting Seattle in 2 weeks and have reserved a Catalina 25 for a day from the Kirkland location. I have talked with Cathy (Olympia office) and Rhys and Josh (Portland office) several times this weekend setting it all up. They seem to be very friendly and professional. I'll know more about how well they take care of their boats after I've rented from them. My aunt lives directly across the water from their marina in Olympia (we even kayaked through their marina last year when we visited), so if we visit here this time I'm going to drop past just to say hello to Cathy and get familiar with their operation.

I wish we had a club like that in this area. There are a couple sailing clubs and a Sailtime franchise, but all the options were so pricey and/or limited that my best option was to buy. I've had the same boat four years and no regrets at all, but a club like Island Sailing seems to me to really hit the sweet spot for cost/benefits.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook