SailNet Community - View Single Post - Recourse for Powerboats
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Recourse for Powerboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnChuck View Post
We did an article on the changes we have seen on the ICW over the years and posted it on our blog. It was originally published in a couple of well known boating publications, The Trawler Beach House: Changes On The ICW .Chuck
Nice piece, your observations match many of my own to a tee...

The rise of the phenomenon of doing the Ditch in 'packs', led by a 'Guru', is definitely one of the most perplexing to me... Without question, many cruisers are far less self-sufficient and generally less competent than years ago, and the reliance on various guides, and resources such as Active Captain, has become almost comical... The sort of Serendipitous Surprise that so often marked many of my most memorable experiences back in the old days, seems completely absent from the manner in which many cruisers make the trip now... But that is largely a reflection of the way so many prefer to travel nowadays in general, of course...

btw, you've got a great little boat there... I got my start in the delivery biz running Marine Traders for Don Miller back in the 70's, I can guarantee you I have more hours on those boats than any other person alive... (grin) Hell, there's a good chance I may have originally delivered yours, back in 1980...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook