SailNet Community - View Single Post - How did you get your start in sailing?
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013

gamayun is on a distinguished road
Re: How did you get your start in sailing?

I never had any interest in sailing. All that heeling and zig-zagging just to hit a spot straight ahead seemed very odd for someone who grew up with power boats and canoes. So there was this guy (isn't there always?); a friend from Texas, who was buying a sailboat in my area near Annapolis. I helped him crew it down to Florida in which we motored a lot. After years spent pouring diesel into twin 350 hp engines (back when diesel was cheap), that 1/2 gph that we burned on the sailboat really caught my attention. The fact that you could run out of fuel and still get the boat where you wanted it to go, was a complete revelation. When I started crewing on other boats, I said I'd never race. "Sailboat racing" was such an oxymoron. Now I'm in San Francisco Bay and can't get enough of it. On the Chesapeake, I used to say I'd never sail in more than 20 knots of wind. Now I'm grinning from ear to ear when we get a 30-knot "puff." Funny how opportunities and an open mind can change one's perspective.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook