SailNet Community - View Single Post - Slip or Mooring Can?
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: Slip or Mooring Can?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag
you may enjoy this lifestyle longer if you do the slip first thing....when you decide you enjoy being a pioneer in the 1820s, then progress along....
Don't get this one?

you perhaps dont get it because you are not there yet. i have seen folks wither from boating life just because of life on board on a mooring. is more like pioneer life than you think or seem to think.
moorings are less protected than marinas...more breakaways in storms, difficulty in obtaining groceries and getting them onto boat and other fun things like going to a municipal shower for daily showering, using your tax dollars for your own survival is not usually the positive way most landlubbers see boating or living on board.

most folks without boats will wonder how stuff is done. they will assume that because a boat is in a mooring life is easier and more peaceful...do not delude yourself.
life on board is what YOU make it.
if you start out in a marina you will probably stay on board longer than if you start out in mooring fields without knowledge of how to do what the lifestyle demands of you. good luck. many have failed. i have watched this cycle since i first moved on board my first boat in 1990.
i am not saying YOU will fail--i am saying--do not delude yourself with assumptions about moorings that are untrue.

there is no right nor wrong choice--there is only YOUR choice, whatever that is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zeehag; 07-08-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook