SailNet Community - View Single Post - Replacing propellor in the water?
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Replacing propellor in the water?

There is no reason you could not do this in stages with a mask if you have a prop puller. Have some extra nuts and key stock ready in case you manage to drop one. Put them in a pocket you can easily access. Tie everything up to the rails so you can't lose anything: wrenches, puller, hammer, pliers, prop. Hang new prop with enough slack to re-install so you can easily get it from in the water. Loosen/remove nuts (see if prop wants to come off easily by tapping on SIDE of prop), set prop puller, tighten it to remove prop. (I'd just leave the key in place if it looked ok.) Check shaft for corrosion or electrolysis on taper, clean up with an abrasive pad. Install new prop, tighten nuts, put in cotter pin. I'd experiment with some kind of weight to keep you down just enough so you're not fighting buoyancy. I'd also tie the tools to the shaft to keep them within easy reach. It's easy to do this kind of stuff if you just break it into 1 breath stages. Be mindful of hyperventilation. No SCUBA gear required.

Visibility is important. You really can't accomplish much if visibility isn't around 5' or so.

Last edited by smurphny; 07-08-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook