SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
No , I dont think you can avoid the "bad seamanship" of happening to run into Fukashima debris on a foggy night. Plastic under you doesn't automatically make you "luckier".
My boats are fast, go to windward well, and make good passage times. They have often outsailed fibreglass boats they were not supposed to outsail, including Beneteaus. Their strength has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt, over the last 32 years. There is no point in waterproof bulkheads, as there is little if any chance of punching a hole in 3/16th plate on a 36 footer. ...
...They just dont want to risk lives and that of their families, in a plastic boat, which couldn't survive a collision, unharmed, with a large piece of Fukashima debris, like a dock or wreck. Better to have your hull bounce off, unharmed, that to have it stowed in and end up relying on a bulkhead to keep you afloat, in mid ocean.
While I don't doubt that your boats are strong, as that seems to be your main selling point, steel boats sink too when they hit stuff, even strong ones. It's not just the Titanic either (which curiously you criticize for not having watertight bulkheads and yet you say they are pointless in another post). I only know one person (who wasn't giving a lecture or selling a book) who has used a liferaft in anger. His steel yacht sunk out from under him 3 days outside of Hawaii after a collision with an unknown underwater object. Steel didn't protect him from a collision.

I also interviewed a boat owner (to do the Vic-Maui) of a GRP boat that hit a whale (they saw bloody chunky bits) and while it stove in part of the bow, it didn't hole the boat. It was GRP with some Kevlar included with the glass, a C&C I think.

Steel can be weak.
Steel can be strong.
GRP can be weak.
GRP can be strong.

A strong hull of GRP or steel is no guarantee of staying afloat after a collision. The ocean decides.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook