SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do you use dinghy lights?
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013

Plumbean is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you use dinghy lights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I use an Aqua Signal bow light with a suction cup... of course, a suction cup is essentially worthless on any surface that is not absolutely clean, any amount of salt spray or dew will render it useless... And as I often have dinghy chaps on my tender anyway, I use a bridle of shock cord running to the bow handle, and the pair of attachment points for the spray cover/bow bag that works just fine...

There a new series of LED dinghy/emergency nav lights from NaviSafe, they look pretty slick... Unfortunately, looks like they don't make a dedicated bow light, but only a tricolor, so the white portion will kill your vision unless elevated... Pricey, naturally - but the only ones I know of that have been CG approved:

Defender.com Search Results: navisafe: Navigation Lights

A product line of mounts from Railblaza includes a mount that can be glued onto hypalon or PVC, and used in conjunction with such lights...

RAILBLAZA RIBPort with StarPort Multifunctional Mount

Those look pretty slick. I use the Aquasignal version of this type of setup -- i.e., permanent mount glued to the bow with a red/green light that goes in it. I might like this design better, as the Aquasignal one requires the use of a pin to hold the light in place. For the all around light, it mounts on a pole that clamps to the stern engine mount. It works pretty well although if you don't want to leave them on the dink you have to take them with you. Sort of like carrying two decent sized flashlights, and the all around light actually works pretty well for that purpose. They are LEDs, so last pretty long. They actually got a lot of use during the 12 days we had without power after Sandy -- as nightlights for the kids.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook