SailNet Community - View Single Post - 3 blade prop or two blade folder
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road
Re: 3 blade prop or two blade folder

I am all about maximizing sailing performance, so I use a Gori 2 blade folding prop. I used to have a Martec, which was terrible because the blades flopped around independently, so if one blade got a bit fouled you had balance issues. The Gori is geared so the blades open and close together. The Gori was also a big improvement in reverse, but still not great. When I buy my next boat, which will be bigger and more expensive, I will definitely spend the money on a feathering prop, which is the best of both worlds.

I don't know what you would need a shaft brake for. A good folding prop folds any time the boat is moving forward and the shaft isn't turning. (assuming it isn't fouled of course!) It is a fixed prop that is prone to "windmilling" when the tranny is in neutral.

As for performance gains, a fixed prop can easily cost you up to a knot of boatspeed under sail. PHRF treats a folding prop as a significant performance upgrade. All you have to do is take a fixed prop into the water with you, hold it under water and swish it back and forth and you will see how much drag you are dealing with! Couple that with the turbulence you create over your rudder and it is a big performance hit!
Hull#101

Last edited by SchockT; 07-08-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook