SailNet Community - View Single Post - First boat, living aboard and learning to sail
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2007

SeaStrutter is on a distinguished road
Way to go Mike. I'm with you on the whole "living with less"... I have worked in an office for the last few years with a dress code, and am expected to look together - shave, ironed clothes, smell OK and all the other things "civilized society" expects ... I first lived on an older 40' houseboat, which was gutted when I bought it. I lived in the huge vberth that summer and fixed it up... My first big boat - I bit off more than I could chew - I never finished it and was lucky to sell it and break almost even.

Next was a little 25' sailboat, which, like the houseboat, was a bare shell when I bought it. It took me a few weeks of hard work, but I accomplished more with the sailboat, and it felt more like home than the houseboat would have even if I had put in another years worth of work. Point is, stick to your guns and go small! You will work out the details, like using a little hand steamer to straighten out your clothes and febreeze to give them that "fresh scent", and you're already set with the gym shower... If you need space just take the dinghy for a row or take your books to the club snug...

Good Luck!

PS - I gotta say I agree with the whole "stay away from wood" thing though. Seen too many bad things happen to wood boats, and they are a fulltime job to maintain.