SailNet Community - View Single Post - Should a Roller Furler be Hard?
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Re: Should a Roller Furler be Hard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benesailor View Post
Why is it that people buy harken instead of Pro Furl?

With pro furl no halyard wrap; no lubing, no rinsing. No muss. Mines 20 years old and still going strong.

Just wondering?
Speaking only for the Harken MKIV, there is no need for lube, the bearings are self cleaning torlon. The Harken MKIV also comes with a retainer or deflector and should be installed to prevent the wrap Rinsing it with fresh water once and a while, how is that laborious? I just shoot some water in it when I rinse the boat.

I can tell you why I choose the Harken over Pro Furl, the PF = "Sealed ball bearings are packed in grease, eliminating any risk of corrosion and making them impermeable to impurities such as water, sand or dust." If that seal is compromised, the bearings will corrode, I am pretty sure those are steel BB they use but not 100% certain.

Add to that, Harken makes everything in the USA, when I can I am going to purchase USA made products.

There are plenty of 20 yr old Harken units as well

Nothing wrong with Pro Furl, Schaeffer, Furlex, Harken, etc...each have their own selling points. I really think its just a matter of opinion when its all compared.

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook