SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do you use dinghy lights?
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Do you use dinghy lights?

OMG, I returned in the dead of night again and could actually see my boat from shore. no one requires a spotnlight, nor ru ning lights on the target vessel to see at night. When they blast thier spot light, they ruin theirs and others night vision for nothing.

That yahoo the other night started well on the other side of the harbor. It clearly wouldn't have mattered if we had running lights on. They were on the hunt for every moored boat along the way and every dinghy, running lights or not. The moored balls aren't lit either, by the way.

Lest anyone failed to notice, I said I do have lights for the dink, which is an 11 ft RIB with 18 hp motor. Bigger than some, but not among the larger units with built in lights. I've never measured, but I suspect it is capable of doing more than 7 knots. At night, we never are close. I would use lights in low viz conditions. My beef is where running lights are doing more harm than good and with yahoos sweeping a spot light around.

Based on the actual comings and goings at the transient dinghy dock last evening, it seems 90% of dinks aren't using lights and I've not heard of anyone ever being cited. I suppose someone may have had them squirreled away somewhere that I couldn't see them, but it not buying that was many that intended to use them. I have them squirreled away, but most dinks don't have anywhere to hide anything. A bag under the seat for security, now that's funny. I saw many underway and it was the fractional minority using running lights. Seems they couldn't find their own bag, if they had one. Thankfully, no one with a spot light last night. Again, clear skies and you could see boats from a few hundred yards away.

I will bet I'm ahead of most by having PFDs for everyone, an anchor, paddle and distress signals. When not in cell range, I bring a handheld too. But, the lights on a clear bright night are dumb.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook