SailNet Community - View Single Post - spent my life savings on a boat, looking for work.
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Re: spent my life savings on a boat, looking for work.

We really need more information from the OP since assumptions are only getting us into personal diatribes.

It seems based on the limited info we have that the OP needs a stable job first and foremost before worrying about his boat. Im not sure where the OP is living but jobs come to those who look and pound enough pavement. Construction laborer, apprentice, dishwasher, furniture maker, its almost limitless.

I would simply wish for this young guy around my age to find a stable source of income above minimum wage to begin getting his A B C's in order. Im not sure what he means by paying for the boat or affording the boat but if he does own it then just tarp it for a few months and get your finances lined up. Atleast with a boat your size you really cant spend more than a few grand on refits including reglassing the hull.

So,
1. Find stable employment
2. Make enough to maintain or pay for the boat.
3. Buy some used boating books like bowditch or chapmans.
4. Ask further questions here for well rounded and often opinionated advice.
5. Go sailing.

I miss sailing Sunfish. I miss being able to hike in until capsize on a hot day. Unfortunately capsizing my biat would hardly be fun..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook