SailNet Community - View Single Post - spent my life savings on a boat, looking for work.
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road
Re: spent my life savings on a boat, looking for work.

At this point, it doesn't matter WHAT HAS ALREADY HAPPENED- it is where to go from here?
Ok looking at his picture album, it looks like he has his priorities in order- having FUN. Isn't that what drew most of us into sailing? Obviously, he cannot live on it, maybe he needs funding to pay for dry storage? He would likely take a loss on the sale of it, so he is probably stuck with it financially.

Also, looking at his only other post, he is looking to crew on a long passage.

Therefore, he still has a few good options if he wants to stick with the sailing life:
1- spend a summer or year or two drifting (crewing on deliveries, working at marinas, West Marine, etc).
2- join the Navy or Coast Guard- learn skills, visit cool places, and get paid while doing so.
3- look for a possible trade up to a larger, older (probably a project) boat that he can live on. This would be rough going, because he would likely have to live on the hook, with a boat that says "feed me money" constantly.
4- go back to the real world. Get a real job, have a few bucks in your pocket, and 20 years from now say "Oh, I couldn't do that when I was younger, and I am too strapped down now."

This all brings up a fascinating question. What would you do if you could turn it all back to age 19? What would you really do, not what you SHOULD do? I am sure a lot of people end up choosing option 4, whether right or wrong.

Last edited by FirstCandC; 07-09-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook