SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hello all Colvic Watson Owners
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013

Plamen is on a distinguished road
Re: which motorsailer ?

Hi Mike (mike@colvicwatson.com),

I found your post just in the right time for me... hoping this will prevent me to do a mistake which is hard to repair later…
I am looking to move to sailing, my area is the Med in general (Ionian islands for the beginning).
I am 60, active motor-boater & ex-windsurfer. No sailing experience yet, I would start it the “learning-by-doing”-way….
I think I would like to have a motorsailer, hope this is the right decision for me and for the area. My idea is to spend not more than 7-10 days onboard, hopefully several times the year.
I have visited some classic sailing yachts and I do not like the cramped confines with them (unless one go significant over the 40ft mark).
I will leave the boat in the Med, I do not have circumnavigation ambitions.
Mostly, I will be with my wife onboard, but I will have to do the job mainly alone.
I mention this, because I remember your notice in another forum, “… one need at least 2-3 people to sail a Colvic Watson ketch…”

I have narrowed my search to 4 boats offered for sale in my area – all around 1975-1980 : Colvic Victor 34 ketch, Colvic Watson 34 ketch, Nauticat 33 ketch, LM32 sloop. They are all within nearly the same budget, 30K EUR to 30K GBP. I would pick-up one of them at the end of this season.
There is also a Colvic Victor 40 ketch offered @45K GBP but I am not ready to spend that much for just a toy of mine. Maybe I will regret it later…

Which one is the right one for me, is the question?
Am I going the right path at all, with a motorsailer in this area?

Any help & opinion highly appreciated…

Plamen
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook