SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need Opinion: Chart plotter, north up or course up?
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013

knuterikt is on a distinguished road
Re: Need Opinion: Chart plotter, north up or course up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysails View Post
I always prefer to have my chart plotter setup in a north up configuration. This is likely due to using paper charts for years and years. The problem is the admiral and any crew we have aboard get really confused by it, especially when we are on a southern course. If I add the radar overlay then they really complain. But every time I try and use a course up configuration I nearly get nauseous. My brain just can't seem to deal with it. I am thinking about just making the change to course up and learn to start dealing with it.

What are your opinions out there?

Thanks!
I have also grown up with paper charts navigating with the north up.

But on the chart plotter I prefer using Heading up for several reasons.
  • I sometimes use split screen with radar and chart side by side, for me it feels more natural to have the radar heading up.
  • With heading up it's easy to offset the boat to the lower part of the screen so I can see more of the chart ahead of me.
  • I feel heading up works better on the small screen.
On my plotter Heading up is not the same as course up..
Heading up refers to my compass heading (rate gyro)
Course up refers to the way point if set.

AFAIK aircraft pilots navigate on paper chart heading up.

An former college of mine was commander on a FPB squadron in the Norwegian Navy - he did learn to navigate on paper charts (North up)
When he started training for his pilot license - his instructor could not understand why he did his navigation North up instead of turning the chart..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook