SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need Opinion: Chart plotter, north up or course up?
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Need Opinion: Chart plotter, north up or course up?

True the paper chart is printed with orientation to the north. That makes sense though because that is the only thing that is a standardization to. It would not be possible to print charts in a head up orientation. That alone is not reason to create everything north on the boat. In addition charts can be rotated and moved.

Our nav station faces forward, the chart table is large enough to rotate the chart 360 degrees. If my bow is facing E and I intend on traveling that way I orient my paper chart that way at the nav station as well as in the cockpit.

If my bow is facing E and there are rocks in front of me visually, I don't want my paper chart facing north so they are 90 degrees to the right of me when I look at it, I want to rotate the chart so they are ahead of me. When I glance down at the chart and there is a river to the left, and I look up the river is to the left. No room for error or need for computation. That's why I have the CP in a head up orientation.

While I can make that shift if I can keep things in a north orientation many newer people or inexperienced cannot easily I have found. They need to confirm visually what they have looked down at on a chart and then look up again to get their bearings..

However all this said, there is no ultimate CORRECT way to do this. You should do whatever makes you comfortable as well as so the rest of your crew can understand also if necessary.

Makes no difference what orientation you keep, as long as you can read your position safely

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook