View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Recourse for Powerboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonSink62 View Post
My favorite this season (so far):

We're headed offshore, about 1/2 mile out, and a 30-35' mobo overtakes us on the stbd side; like 75-100 feet away. I present my stbd quarter to the wake and we grab on to whatever is secure and ride it out. Then the other boat makes a turn to stbd! He could have turned several hundred yards maybe even a quarter mile earlier. It was almost (almost) like he decided to give us a little thrill before turning south. I know that the Pacific is bigger, but the Atlantic is still a fairly large body of water. Seems like an a-hole move to me.

Stay thirsty, my friends.

Ken
I have noticed this same behavior quite a few times. I think it's some kind of "follower" instinct. With miles of open water, powerboats will often head right for you and then pass within close proximity, only to turn to a different heading soon after. ??? Maybe they just want to look at the pretty sails. Many are not the sharpest tool in the shed, you know.