SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need Opinion: Chart plotter, north up or course up?
View Single Post
post #23 of Old 07-09-2013
capta
Master Mariner

Re: Need Opinion: Chart plotter, north up or course up?

Try putting in a general destination WP and using track up.
We use all three, depending on circumstances, but use the track up for inter-island sailing to show cross track error and it stabilizes the screen.
Coming into a harbor or bay on a fairly steady heading, I'll switch to course up, and going north or at anchor (for the anchor drag alarm) north up works. With the radar overlay, I think we're all stuck w/ north up?
Another alternative I've tried, though I didn't like it, was to dampen the update time, thereby slowing the movement on the screen.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome