SailNet Community - View Single Post - Possibly buy a boat..
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: Possibly buy a boat..

JWood I think you might be asking the wrong question.

Rather than "is the Tartan 30 a good boat" try "Is the Tartan 30 a good boat for me?"

These questions may help:
  • Where are you going to sail?
  • Do you have any sailing experience or are you new to it?
  • If new have you taken some courses or are you just taking the plunge?
  • Do you plan to sail by yourself (called single handing), with your wife/girlfriend or do you have kids?
  • Will you stay overnight on the boat? If yes at anchor, at the marina or both?
  • How good are you with tools, engines, electrical? Older boats, like older houses have lots of systems that need attention.
  • How's your budget? As others have said boats need attention and repairs, there are slip fees, insurance, bottom painting and winter storage if you're north of the snow line. All will probably be a bit more than you anticipate. With boats most costs are calculated based on the size of the boat.

If you can answer these folks here can give you an idea if this boat is a good choice for how you want to use her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post
With little else to go on... YEAH! buy now... And please don't regret it, even if it costs you another $10k to get it all working and sorted. It'll be the most crazy stupid thing you can do, but you won't care when you sail it rail down and your bare feet up on the cockpit seats.
Beautifully said...

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Jim

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook