SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do you use dinghy lights?
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Re: Do you use dinghy lights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquina View Post
I hit someone doing EXACTLY as you describe. They were in a black inflatable with no lights on a dark night. No damage was done because I was going about 5 knots. They could not look everywhere at once. A little farther out and I would have been doing 35 knots and they would be dead.
Mmmmm . . .

So there's a difference in being unlit and being camouflaged. If you have a black dink and are wearing black clothes and a black balaclava and all of that on a dark night then it's time to pay real attention. I bet they had a Mercury outboard as well.

How many other boats were coming at them when you hit them? "They" implies there was more one person on the black dink. At 5 knots you wouldn't really suddenly happen on them, a casual scan would have picked up another boat approaching. Sounds like they were smoking something other than cigarettes.

Sorry, not picking, just amused.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook