SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking for a stable 15-18' sailboat
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013

mgoltsman is on a distinguished road
Looking for a stable 15-18' sailboat

I rented a Hobie Wave at a resort and thought it was too much fun to not do again. Looking around for similarly built cats I decided that Hobie Getaway would be perfect for me, but it's too rich for my blood new and not available used where I live (upstate NY).

Looking around the used sailboat market, the most similar choice that is widely available is Hobie 16, but it seems to have a hotrod reputation where a newbie sailor is as likely to flip it as not. I might take that chance myself, but I want to be able to put my boys on the boat and not freak them out so they never go near it again.

I found a nice solid Chrysler Buccaneer and an MFG Sidewinder that will be a bit more of a project. Both boats look rather similar to my eye as far as shape goes, though what do I know. Would much appreciate advice on which boat would be more stable and whether they would be more stable than a Hobie 16 - keep in mind I am a rather clueless newbie looking to start slow. Any other suggestions for easily transportable and easily riggable 15-18' boat type would also be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook