SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sizes of genoas
Thread: Sizes of genoas
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road
Re: Sizes of genoas

Sails are not normally handicapped using the simple overlap percentage you are referring to. The measurements of the sail are used to calculate sail area and then compared to the standard sail area for the particular boat. If a proper phrf handicap was generated the certificate would list your genoa "code". A code 5 genoa would be standard with no adjustment to your rating. A higher number would be oversize, and a lower number would be undersize with corrections to your rating applied appropriately.

Having said that I just looked at the WFPHRF website, and they do indeed seem to ask for genoa size as a percentage! Whether 2% will change your rating depends on the formula they have come up with, and how close your sail is to the next "code".

Realistically I doubt it will make much difference on paper OR on the water. If you ask me it is pretty bad form for your fellow club members to challenge you on your handicap and your sail measurements after a race! It pretty much implies that you were cheating and that is why you won! If they really wanted to confirm sail measurements they should have EVERYONE bring their sails up and measure them all over some beers rather than single you out because you won!
Hull#101
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to SchockT For This Useful Post:
Maravilloso (07-11-2013)