SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need Opinion: Chart plotter, north up or course up?
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Need Opinion: Chart plotter, north up or course up?

I use both and don't have a problem flipping between them. Never gave it a second thought really.

My choice of screen orientation generally depends on where I am sailing and sometimes the plotter I am using. Open ocean is almost always North Up but coastal Maine is often Course Up but can often be North Up too depending upon where on the coast we are. My wife hates North Up but she never learned on paper before electronic. She learned electronic and paper at the same time.

I also don't have an issue which way my paper chart lies... Sometimes I use it upside down because my wife is looking at it too or some times sideways, which ever way it fits.... My brain does not seem to have a problem with the "spatial" issues as I guess I tend to re-draw it in my brain in the direction I need to see it in....

When I was a kid, and learning plotting/DR from my grandfather and father, we never had the luxury of a proper nav desk that would fit a chart so they were often folded and looked at from all directions. Plotting on the paper was always done based on NU but was not always drawn with the paper facing NU... I sailed and navigated thousands of hours in the fog, before electronics, without always having my chart oriented North Up, so I guess I am the odd man out? Perhaps it was better that I never got used to having to have my chart oriented only North Up because now I am not constrained to one or the other orientation...???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 07-10-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook