SailNet Community - View Single Post - Not even a neophyte
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013

Spray is on a distinguished road
Re: Not even a neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post
Friends sailing clueless = live ballast. Spray, there's no better way to experience freedom in this Brave New World than to go sailing. Plenty of excellent books on small craft sailing are available at most libraries, including Royce's Sailing Illustrated, the Bible for many small craft sailors. Other basic sailing books offer simple diagrams so you may better grasp the essentials. Know that marine safety is paramount: yours and the safety of all aboard. Study the "Rules of the Road" before you leave shore. If a course of instruction is beyond your budget, hook up with an experienced sailor who can teach you what you need to know. Follow regulations and err on the side of caution whenever you are in doubt (or clueless), since ignorance can get expensive at sea and possibly cost you your life. Out here off San Diego, would-be sailors die on a regular basis, and I'm not even counting power wanks and PWC operators in that factual statement. I've sailed all my life, and I assure you, once you get a clue and know how to handle your boat under all conditions, you will never know greater freedom... follow the leads in my first post to see what I mean, and understand that the same options will be open to you as an experienced small craft sailor.
That's really good advice railsplitter and thank you for the affirmation of my decision. There's always a little voice in the back of my mind that doubts my decision to get into sailing, but then I read something like your statement and reminds me of why I want to get into it. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook