SailNet Community - View Single Post - Raymarine SPX-5 Wheel Pilot rattles
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013

mbsl98 is on a distinguished road
Re: Raymarine SPX-5 Wheel Pilot rattles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvuyxx View Post
I'm about to install one ... so the rattling is between the internal ring and the bearings??
I'm still doing the final sorting of my installation, but as far as I can deduce, the noise is from the bearings onto either their loose plastic holders or the ring that they ride on. When not engaged, it looks as if the bearing pressure on the plastic ring is released a bit, and that allows the bearings to be just loosely held in position ready to rattle against anything they can touch. First i thought rattle was coming from the two grey cover rings (front and back of wheel unit) since the back sets inside the front with very little clearance. However, it looks to me as if those two rings never actually contact each other so the noises are all from the nternal elements that you can't actually see when it is all assembled. I have been thinking about somethyng like automotive disk brake pad grease - something that will not run under any circumstances. I know that RayMarine says no lubes of any mind, and that makes sense when you see that the whole affair is run with a friction belt that will lose its grip if it gets greasy under it. Another alternative may be to try to take up a little tension on the belt when it is released - ie: not allow it to fully release so that it holds a bit more presure on the bearings. However, that will add drag to steering, posibly other issues. At first I just inserted a couple of shims between the back and front grey rings, but that was before I had completed the install of the locating pin and the whole assembly could rotate with wheel movement. Once the pin was installed, the back and front rings need to be able to rotate separately when it is disengaged, so shims can't be used there. I just signed up on the RayMarine tech site, and will report back if they can add any helpful hints.