SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking for a stable 15-18' sailboat
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013

Michael K is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for a stable 15-18' sailboat

Monohulls and multihulls are such different animals. As such, you owe it to yourself to research (and experience) their differences BEFORE deciding on which type you want to own.

In the monohull camp you would be hard-pressed to find something more stable, forgiving and quick than a Flying Scot. The Bucc you mentioned may also be a good choice - I've never sailed one - but I know of a fellow who collected a fleet of them for his sailing school. They likely aren't as dry as a Scot but have a hull design apparently derivative of a Laser. In any case, try to imagine how easy it is to get back aboard after righting the boat as capsizing will be part of your learning curve. This is why I think Lasers are great to learn on.

In the multihull camp, I'd recommend a Prindle over a Hobie 16 for several reasons. Better build quality, a tad more buoyancy in the bows so pitchpoling is less likely, and a lower center of effort in the sail plan for more stability. In general, beach cats can be trickier to tack than monohulls of the same size, so you may want to seek out some instruction for that maneuver.

Good luck!

Last edited by Michael K; 07-10-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook