SailNet Community - View Single Post - Need Opinion: Chart plotter, north up or course up?
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Need Opinion: Chart plotter, north up or course up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
This says the man with the computer, I pad, tablet or smart phone

That's the problem Jon, they are both and they are neither, just like the dinosaurs who are afraid to depend on a GPS device who think some day a EMP will wipe out all the satellites all at once.
Well, for the record, I will note that I only possess one of those 4 toys you mention, not sure how that has any relevance to the points I've been trying to make... And, for the umpteenth time, may I remind you that I, too, rely on GPS as my primary navigational tool, just like most everyone else... (grin)

Quote:
Why is it so important to have map reading skills Jon, they are becoming obsolete except for the water where its a needed skill still? It isn't a necessary skill on land anymore for most people.
So, what happens when one of those Dirt Dwellers with minimal map-reading skills buys a Plastic Fantastic 40 for his first boat? Ah, right - as Roger points out, he learns to use a chartplotter... Which is most often a far cry from actually learning how to navigate...

Quote:
It isn't a necessary skill on land anymore for most people. It doesn't mean they are lost either.
In the weeks after Hurricane Sandy, one of my neighbors had his FEMA inspection postponed, due to the fact that the inspector's smart phone died, and he had no means of finding his way to our neighborhood... I had to drive to a shopping mall to meet with my inspector, because her GPS was inexplicably routing her to my address over a bridge that had been closed, and there was no other way she could be 'talked into' my house... Which, from the parking lot she was in, would have involved making ONE left turn at the 3rd traffic light she would have encountered... Though she had a map of the area, she candidly admitted it was of no use to her...

Yeah, ain't Map-Reading Obsolescence wonderful?

Quote:
Time marches on as does the world. People don't forage for food anymore. It allows them do do things like deliver boats, become rocket scientists, CHefs, teachers, accountants. Time marches on.

March with it or get left behind and perish with he dinosours. grin
Sometimes, I wonder if I'm the only person around here who's ever had one of those Magic Black Boxes aboard a boat go dark... (grin)

Again, to the aftermath of Sandy... We were without power here for 20 days... For the first time, it truly hit me how dependent many people have become upon their smart phones and such... Whenever I'd make a stop at McDonald's to poach some WiFi, here would be lines around the power outlets, people waiting to re-charge their devices, probably so they could figure out how to get to where they're going next... (grin)

So, disregard the mention in the article I cited, of the pleas from authorities in Scotland for hikers to familiarize themselves with other means of finding their way back home, as a result of so many needless rescues they're having to make... My nephew is a Ski Patroller out at Mammoth Mountain, and rarely does a single week go by without them being called to find some clown who ventured Out of Bounds somewhere on the mountain, because his smart phone went dead, and he lacked the ability to interpret something as simple as a freakin' trail map... Or, the countless other examples offered up every day, and certainly over the VHF any weekend out on the water...

Sorry, but they are the sort of people, lacking those sort of antiquated, "obsolete" skills, who might find themselves "left behind" when TSHTF, but "time marches on"... (grin)

Last edited by JonEisberg; 07-10-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook