SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do you use dinghy lights?
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Do you use dinghy lights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Wrap up......... (I'm killing time until we get favorable current this afternoon)

I scanned the thread to tally where all are on this. Not perfect, but I included those that supported the idea of no blinding lights and those that liked the OP as being favorable. I counted those that blistered the sacrilege, called me names, or simply quoted the regulation, with no stated opinion on the point of the OP, as unfavorable.

I tried not to count any poster twice.

Favorable 15
Unfavorable 13

Pretty good conversation as I see it.

There were also 2 that were so neutral I couldn't tell and 3 thread drifts. The undecided, as it were, could very well make it a tie.

Survey and thread is now complete.
creative math.

The fact is I count at least 19 of the posters agreed with following the laws and the regulations and either have or employ some type of lighting on their dinghy s. Many of the products are imperfect as we have discussed, and their attachment as well as their unwanted illumination without modifications are necessary. Thanks to all who opted their modifications of their set ups to remain compliant.

As Take5 asked for, the regulations are stated that you must have some type do lighting, in the dark, at the very minimal a white 360. That's a fact. The regulation has been posted twice for everyone to puruse. If it shines it your eyes, modify it as others have posted how to do.

I really don't want to continue posting on this topic, but will as my fear is that someone new to boating will come along and read this thread and feel is ok to run their dinghy dark in a harbor without proper illuminative navigation lights to be seen and that it is a common approved practice to do that. it is against the safe boating tegulations we all should abide by. The unfortunate disagreement comes because the OP arrogantly continues to defend his illegal practice.

To run dark in a dark harbor is irresponsible to others, and illegal as well. To pick and choose which regulations to follow on personal " feelings or beliefs" and endanger others is callous disregard for authority and other boaters.

A boat whether a dinghy or a ship at night should not be run dark.....that's common sense. Even one anchored has a light on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook