SailNet Community - View Single Post - What do I do if someone anchors too close?
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: What do I do if someone anchors too close?

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
It got worse. Some people anchored by my friend and he was sitting on his oat and told them they were too close. Thy said they were from here and knew what they were doing. As they took the dinghy in they said to us

"It's good anchorage on the other side of the bay"

Why they told is this I don't know. I think they thought thy had more rights to be there, anyways in the morning the boats start bumping so my friend gets in his dinghy and pushes their boat away and then goes back to sleep. When the other peoe get back the boats are bumping so the guy stands on his deck blowing his air horn. My friend wakes up and the guy and his wife start screaming at him how he must have moved, they weren't this close close before. The guy starts pulling up his anchor and it is under my friends and starts pulling his anchor up and bringing the boats together. They are yelling and telling him he must have moved and to pull his anchor and leave. Crazy fourth.
No matter how assholic these people may have been, your friend certainly bears some of the responsibility in this instance...

He awakened to the boats making contact, merely pushes them apart, and then goes back to sleep???" Seriously?

Sometimes, no matter if you were anchored first, or whatever, the most seamanlike thing to do is simply re-anchor at a safe distance from anyone who may present a threat to your boat...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook