SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do you wear a life jacket?
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Re: Do you wear a life jacket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallySailing View Post
I wear an automatic self inflating PFD all the time on the water and also when solo (or with just the kids) on the pontoon. Water is cold around here. You'll be amazed how quick you become hypothermic when immersed and how soon you loose both your strength and your ability to think and coordinate movements before you become unconscious. I feel naked without one. Can't really tell the junior crew of eight and ten years to wear one if I am not exemplary. Anybody ever jumped into the water with their pfd on ? I did a sea survival course with the RYA (which I can highly recommend to anybody wherever you sail). Jumping with full gear into a wave pool you soon understand why the RYA recommends that your PFD should have a crotch strap (its amazing how quick your PFD will pull up and away from you), a spray hood and a D ring for attaching a harness so you don't fall overboard in the first instance.
Where do I get one with a spray hood and crotch strap?

By the way, I showed this to my obstinate youngster this evening to help motivate her to put her life jacket on. I was "starting" to leave her on the shore this evening, until she put her's on, fully buckled.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing.

Last edited by Bene505; 07-11-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook